History of church 



To our website

[All Saints, Wingerworth/Library/component-nivo-slider-small/nivo-slider-small.htm]
themed object
get in touch


All Saints Church, Wingerworth has a rich history dating back to the 12th century. Many of the features from that time still remain, from Jack o' the Green to the painted chancel, from the old preaching cross to the squint.
We invite you to visit and see these unique features for yourself!

Church in 1839

Churchyard Burials:

Burial GroundThe Wingerworth Parish Burial Records Project attempts to make fully accessible the official records of all whose remains, including ashes, are interred in the All Saints Churchyard in Wingerworth.
The records date back to 1539, soon after Henry VIII instructed all churches to register all baptisms, marriages and burials. To date the project has registered the details of 3,215 people who have been recorded as having been buried in the churchyard. Sadly the parish register covering the period from 1539 to 1805 has been badly damaged, so many of those records are now lost. However, mainly due to the good work of Dir. David G Edwards who created a transcript of the register, it has been possible to salvage some of that information for the project.

The primary project sources are:

- Burial records held at the Derbyshire Records Office and All Saints Church
- Transcripts of records held at the Derbyshire Records Office;
- A transcript of memorial inscriptions created by the Derbyshire Family History Society
- A series of historical accounts created by Dr. David Edwards
- Photographic record of gravestones created by Hilton White
- Burial plot records created by past sextons particularly Frank Bunting and John Thoms

The Wingerworth Parish Burial Records Project sets out a summary of the information covering names, dates, ages, location within the churchyard and the register reference. The main database, contains additional information about an individual's residence, transcripts of gravestone inscriptions and some limited background information. It also includes a series of diagrams of the churchyard layout to help with the identification of burial plots.
The burials website is created and maintained by Chris Hutchings and we at All Saints are indebted to Chris for his dedication to this project and his generosity in sharing his work.
The Wingerworth Parish Burial Records Project links on this page open up a new window.

The following is a visitors guide of All Saints, Wingerworth.

Front cover of visitors guide

The Beginning It was possibly in the 6th century that groups of Angles from the Angein in Schleswig came to make their home on the ridge we now know as Wingerworth. About a hundred years later Christian teachers came to the area from Northumbria. These were teaching-monks, who travelled from village to village preaching at the places where their craftsmen brothers had erected crosses of stone.

In the churchyard, opposite the south door of this Anglo-Saxon PREACHING CROSS, evidence that Christians have met together on this site for over one thousand years.

Preaching Cross

The first shrine in Wingerworth may have been a wooden structure, although no trace remains of this, if indeed it did exist. Of the present building the chancel arch in particular indicates a very early origin. However, at present it seems safest to date this no earlier than the 11th century. i.e. late Anglo Saxon or very early Roman. There is documentary evidence that in the early 12th century extensive work was done on the building, including perhaps the narrow arch of which is still visible to the east of the present entrance—and the addition of a north aisle with its plain arcade.

Norman work outside the south doorway.

During the Middle Ages the chancel was the sacred part of the building. In contrast the nave (now the narthex of the church was the secular part where the villagers held meetings and inquests took place. In times of danger the people took refuge in it, even driving their animals if there was room. Disputes were settled there by the help of the Reave, a kind of churchwarden, and the Syrodomen, now called sidesmen, the nave was also used as a storehouse for grain and implements and was the centre of business. Markets and fairs were held in the churchyard.

As the life of the local church and community have evolved over the centuries so the church building has reflected that change. Evidence of this process is everywhere, including the following items of interest to which the visitor’s attention is drawn. The Narthex (formerly the old nave)

The visitor to the church enters through the SOUTH DOORWAY and is well advised to look at the Norman work on the outside. The more recently built porch gives good protection to the two circular pillars and the capitals carved in one of the well-known Norman designs.

New Arcade

The FONT, which is both deep and circular and of plain stone, is Norman. It was found in the last century at a nearby farm being used as a cattle trough. It was reinstated in the church and recently placed in its present position.

Three plain arches, with pillars seven feet high and with square capitals, form the NAVE ARCADE. This is undoubtedly early Norman, probably 12th century.

The CHANCEL ARCH is one of the survivors from the original fabric. Note its small height and span, the proportions are not those of a typical Saxon arch, but the simple, massive masonry does suggest pre-Conquest construction.

On the underside of the chancel arch is a WALL PRINYING (or fresco) uncovered quite recently. If, a experts consider, this is late 12th century work, the colours are remarkable bold. It is reckoned to be the earliest wall painting surviving in Derbyshire. There are five roundels, each containing a figure. The central of these is a representation of our Lord, while the others are thought to be saints/ could these unique drawings, it has been asked, be an earlier illustration of the church’s dedication to All Saints?

Roof loft

The outstanding feature of the narthex is the ROOD LOFT (thought to date from about 1500). It is the only one surviving in the country. It’s prime purpose was to support the Holy Rood (the figures of our Lord, St. Mary and St. John) but this was removed soon or after the Reformation.


Immediately to the left of the chancel arch is the SQUINT. This oblique opening enabled those in the old north aisle to se the altar. However, it may also have served the purpose of viewing the former north door from the chancel when the church was used as a manoral of judicial court in the Middle Ages.


Behind the pillar, to the left of the chancel arch and the squint is a narrow, twisting stone STAIRCASE. It has been suggested that this led to rooms above the old nave and chancel, but these is no real evidence that these ever existed. Perhaps, then, the stairs simply gave access to the rood loft.

On the inner south wall of the narthex and to the right of the door hangs the old SANCTUS BELL. Originally this hung over the gable at the east end of the nave. Latterly, however it hung in a cote on the roof of the mausoleum, but was taken down when found to be unsafe. Although it no longer plays any part in worship it was felt right to restore it to public view in the building.

THE LADY CHAPEL (formerly the chancel)

Of the items of particular interest in the relatively small area the most eye-catching is the beam above the east window on which is carved the face of a man. This is known as ‘JACK O’THE GREEN’ and is possibly the oldest feature in the church. It’s mouth is represented by a branch of an oak tree, it’s nose by the tree trunk and it’s eys by acorns. As it may well represent some god in pagan folk-lore, it remains a mystery as to how or why it came into a Christian Church.

Set in the sanctuary windows to the right of the altar are ten small rectangles of stained glass. This is reputedly FLEMISH GLASS and dates from the 14th century. It is claimed by some to be the oldest glass in Derbyshire, although sadly only these fragments survive.

On the floor of the sanctuary, to the left of the altar, is an EFFIGY of a recumbent priest or monk.


This dates from about 1200 A. D. and may represent a priest who was in office at a trime of rebuilding of the chancel. Note his eucharistic vestments and the chalice on his chest. His head is tonsured.

On the north wall of the chapel are a number of memorial plaques on which the predominant name is that of HUNLOKE. For almost four hundred years, until 1920, this family were in possession of much of Wingerworth and the surrounding district (if not always in residence). Although they were Roman Catholics and had a private chapel in the hall (sited adjacent to the church until it’s demolition in the 1920’s) most members were baptised and buried at All Saints Church. Part of their coat of arms can clearly be seen on two of the plaques.

Memorial plaques


The present squat and embattled tower in the perpendicular style must have been added no later than about 1500, presumably replacing an earlier bell-cote. It ahs eight striking carved gargoyles which are used as rain-water sprouts, and also a sun-dial bearing the date 1770.

The Tower

When first built, the tower hosed one bell. In 1678 two others were added (one being a gift of Sir Henry Hunloke and bearing his name and coat of arms) although in a year unknown these were badly damaged by an insane person who got into the tower with a sledge hammer. In 1888 the three bells were recast and two others added, making a ring of five. They are cast in the key of G.

The interior base of the tower once served as the ringing chamber. More recently it has housed the former organ and now contains the pedal open diapason unit of the present organ.


In sharp contrast to the old church is the new extension. This was designed by the church’s architect, Bernard Widdows of Derby, and built by local builders C. E. Gaunt and Sons Limited. Sixteen months after the layingof the FOUNDATION STONE the extension was dedicated on 6 June 1964 by the then Lord Bishop of Derby, the Right Reverend Geoffrey Allen.

Foundation Stone

Many have expressed admiration and delight at the way the old and the new have blended together. Could that be due to the nex extension being shaped like an old cruck barn? Beneath the spacious worship area, which is also used for concerts and drama proiductions, lie the remains of a number of former Wingerworth residents. Before work commenced on the building each family with relations buried beneath the site of the proposed extension and who could be traced, was visited and asked whether they wished the remains to be removed. No-one did. All the headstones were removed and placed around the churchyard walls.

Among the more striking features is the GLASS in the windows. This is arranged in an abstract design and was made by Pope and Barr of Nottingham. Each stripo of glass was paid for, as a gift, ny local residents at a sum, it is said of £15.00 each.


You will notice the beautiful CROSS hanging in the Sanctuary.


This and the ALTAR RAILS were given to the church ny local the local National Coal Board Carbonisation Plant whose workmen also made them. Below the cross lies the ALTAR made from Italian Marble. Buried in the base is a box containing such news, pictures and photographs depicting life in the early 1960’s.

The PEWS cost a total of £250.00 and were made to fit the church by Alan Bramley, a local  undertaker and joiner, John Burton who was Chairman of the Fund Raising Committee, the then Rector, Norman Wickham and Churchwarden Rex Wright visited a redundant church in Lancashire and bought the pews, of all different sizes. Alan Bramley then set to work and single handedly joined them together so that they fitted around the pillars. If you look closely you will see the new joints in the pews and bolt holes.

The PULPIT was also hand crafted by Allan, as were the servers’ pew, the sanctuary table and the smaller of the clergy prayer desks.

The pulpit

The HASSOCKS around the communion rails were designed and made by the ladies of the Mothers’ Union and other groups


Recently acquired for the Church is the attractive wrought iron PASCAL CANDLE STAND. This was designed locally by Cyril Wright and made by Leon Redfern.

Pascal Candle stand

To mark the Silver Jubilee of the church extension a liver PROCESSIONAL CROSS AND TORCHES were bought as a gift from the congregation. These were presented at the Service of Celebration on 6 June 1989—twenty five years to the day from the consecration of the Extension—and were dedicated by the Right Reverend  Peter Dawes, Bishop of Derby, for use in the Church.

At the time of building the new extension cost £38,000 of which £9,000 was raised locally. The balance came from grants. Every household in the village was visited and donations given by the majority. The whole venture really was a total village effort.


Only by looking back towards the old church from within the extension can the ORGAN CASE be seen, set high in it’s loft in the south wall. The  console is on ground level and to one side of the nave, but under the case. While the majority of the pipes are in the organ loft behind the case, those of the pedal open diapason unit housed under the tower.

Although this organ is a new addition to Wingerworth Church, parts of it date back to 1755. the original instrument was built in London by Snetzer, the German organ builder. It was then transported by water to Sheffield and installed in St. Paul’s Church in the city centre. With the demolition of this Church, just prior to the Second World War, the organ was taken to the newly constructed church of St. Paul at Arbourthorne to the south east of Sheffield. In 1974, however, this church ceased to be used and the organ was put up for sale. From there it was bought to Wingerworth Church in 1975.

During it’s long life the organ has undergone several major rebuilds, notably in 1810 and 1872 when much of the original Snetzler work was lost. It is estimated that today 20% of the total number of pipes are from the original builder. Whilst being installed in Wingerworth Church extension use has been made of 20th century electronics between the keyboard and the pipes, although every attempt has been made to retain the original 18th century character of the organ.


An interesting point concerns the organ case as it is now seen. In designing the Extension the architect left an opening at the front of the organ loft in anticipation of the day when an organ would be installed. Eleven years later the present organ was bought and the case was found to fit the opening within 1/8 inch.



The Mausoleum now displays a model of Wingerworth Hall kindly donated by Chesterfield Museum.

Visitors to the church are invited to view the Hunloke Mausoleum. Access to this is through the larger vestry. Although it has few architectural merits, the mausoleum is of considerable interest in other respects and is thought to be one of only two presently existing in Derbyshire. It was built in 178. Only sixteen of its forty burial compartments are occupied.



The first impression the visitor has of Wingerworth Church is of the churchyard, which like the building iself is both well-kept and of interest. It contains as has already been mentioned, the first evidence of Christianity on this site: the base of the Anglo-Saxon preaching cross.


A number if YEW TREES are a reminder of the period when every Englishman was required to possess a longbow.


Evidence has been found of a causeway running through the north of the churchyard, which may well have formed part of the private right f way known as BESS IF HARDWICK’S ROAD between Chatsworth and Hardwick Hall.


In the year 1643 during the CIVIL WAR, parliamentary forces occupied the church and captured the former Wingerworth Hall (residence of the royalist Sir Henry Hunloke) by storming it from a breastwork they had made in the churchyard.


A number of interesting TOMBSTONES are to be found. The oldest date from the 17th century, including the four squat monuments opposite the south door.



It is not possible to keep these on display to the general public. Nonetheless, visitors may be interested to know that the church does possess as unusually old chalice among it’s plate. This was once thought to be Elizabethan, but recent authority dates it around 1640. the remainder of the plate is modern and is used as required at the Sunday and mid-week Eucharists. The candlesticks on the high altar of a modern design and made in stainless steel.


The church registers date back to 1539. Unfortunately the oldest of these was damaged by rain long ago., and the wording is now illegible in large areas. Registers up to around 1920 are deposited for safe keeping at the County Archives at Matlock.

All Saint's church


Please note, the term ‘curate’ below refers to the clergyman who has the charge )’cure’) of a parish and not, as it generally means today, an assistant or unbeneficed clergyman appointed to help a Rector or Vicar in his work.


Elias Lomax ?1602    -   ?1609 stipendiary curates, but from some date
Thomas Alsebrook 1609   -  ?1620 they also received the small tithes
John Stansall 1620   -  ?1657  
William Perkins ?1657   -  1692  
Matthew Furnis ?1692   -  1724 perpetual curate as from 1718
THomas Astley 1730   - 1751  
William Wheeler 1751    - 1765  
Samuel Pegge 1765    - 1796  
John Morewood 1796    - 1828  
Samuel Revel 1834    - 1867  
Samuel Revel 1867    - 1869  
Francis Parker Sockett 1869    - 1877  
Frederick Calder 1878    - 1900  
joseph Edward Ormesher 1900    - 1917  
William Daxton Coleman 1917    - 1936  
Sidney Thomas Lewis 1937    - 1939  
James Henry Whitehead 1939    - 1947  
Frank Leslie Sargent 1948    - 1957  
Norman George Wickham 1957    - 1969  
Stuart Maxwell Peterson 1970    - 1973  
Walter geoffrey Marlow 1973    - 1982  
Stuart Millington 1982    - 1998  
Roger Watts 1999  - 2006  
Jo White 2007  - 2013  
Jonathan Poston 2014  - 2021  


This Guide was written and compiled by Stuart Millington.

His Acknowledgements: "For their assistance in compiling this Guide I should like to thank the following: Dr David Edwards, who I was able to consult on points of historical accuracy, who made invaluable suggestions regarding the text, and who researched the list of Curates / Rectors of Wingerworth; Mrs Janet Thickett, who produced the delightful drawings; Mr Ron Smith who wrote the section on the New Extension and Mrs Christian Booth who typed the Guide. It has been very much a team effort."

Thanks also goes to Richard Booth who supplied the booklet for it to be reproduced above.










New Extension

Nativity in the old Norman 1960.

Nativity in the old Norman part. - 1960

Thanks to John Stamp.




slide up button